Thursday, September 20, 2007

I Stand Here Ironing

Motherhood is developed as a central theme in this story because the story focuses on Emily and what she was like when she was growing up as told by her mother. Her mother tells of how she had to send her away so she could work and send her to nursery school so she could work also. Emily's mother blames herself for Emily's lack of ability to learn and her self-esteem. The sotry tells of how Emily was raised by her mother.
I am not a mother but my mother was 15 years old and a sophomore in high school when she had me. I can somewhat relate to Emily. My mom had to put me in daycare when she went to school for the last three years of high school. My mom also worked a part time job so I was in daycare then. I don't remember a lot about it but she said she hated leaving me at daycare because she didn't think I was taken care of the way I should have been. She would often miss school so that I wouldn't have to go to daycare. After my mom graduated high school she stayed at home with me and had two more children.
My mom like Emily's mom did miss out on more of my childhood then she did on my siblings. Emily lived in a different era then I, but our mother's had somewhat similar situations. Emily's mother had to work and my mother had to finish high school and work.

No comments: