Monday, November 5, 2007

Unit 9 Poetry

I walk in the old street

I walk in the old street
to hear the beloved songs
afresh
this spring night.
Like the leaves -my loves wake-
not to be the same
or look tireless to the stars
and a ripped doorbell.

I think that the poem "I walk in the old street" written by Louis Zufofsky (page 665 in literature book) is a great example of a poem that has an audible voice. The poem has more of a conversational tone. Because the poem is written in first person, it seems that the speaker of the poem is speaking his thoughts directly to his audience. The first line, "I walk in the old street/ to hear the beloved songs/ afresh/ this spring night", is a pretty easy line to understand, it's like the speaker is talking directly to anyone who reads the poem. The reader can just picture this: a spring night, an old street. Also, the writer is probably trying to emphasize the word "afresh" because it's put on a line by itself. It goes on to say, "Like the leaves-my loves wake-/ not to be the same/ or look tireless to the stars/ and a ripped doorbell. I don't totally understand this line; the "ripped doorbell" kind of threw me off. There's still an audible voice, because they use the word "my", as if they're talking right to you.

No comments: