Monday, October 27, 2008

The Yellow Wallpaper

The way this story starts out, I am able to tell right away that she is a anxious person. I could tell that she has many ideas that go through her head over and over again. Her husband and brother are physicians and also agree with her that she has a illness. A nervous and depression disorder that they tell her someday will get better. She and her husbad move into a rental house for the summer and sleep in this room with yellow wallpaper! She hates this yellow wallpaper. I sometimes wonder why exactly they chose that room to sleep in because she hated it so much. It drives her "crazy" everyday. She states that the color of the wallpaper "is repellent, almost revolting; smouldering unclean yellow, strangely faded by the slow-turning sunlight. It is dull yet lurid orange in some places, a sickly sulphur tint in others." She talks about this wallpaper so much that she starts to see women in the wallpaper that are unable to get of the wallpaper. She sees these women at night and in the end, the story shifts to herself being one of those women in the wallpaper. I was really surpised in the end because I didn't think that she was going to do this. She tears the wallpaper down and her husband finds her doing this and faints himself. I feel that there are people out there that are like this. Maybe not to this extent, but when something is bothering them, they will think about it so much that they go insane. I feel like she may have a little obsessive compulsive disorder. Where she is always writing down ideas and things, and she just can't stop. I feel that the author may have related herself to this story also. I think this a good text because there are so many ways to look at.

No comments: