Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Storm

Honestly, I do not believe that the storm excuses Calixta and Alcee from their actions, but I think they believe it does. I think that Calixta could have prevented the situation even though, Alcee was tempting her. Many situations happened throughout the storm that Calixta could have walked away from. A situation like, "Alcee clasped her shoulders and looked into her afce. The conatct of her warm, palpitating body when he had unthinkingly drawn her into his arms, had aroused all the old-tim infatuation and desire for her flesh." (Kate Chopin) Calixta could have easily walked away or told Alcee he needed to behave. However, Alcee saw no resistance from Calixta, so he continued to comfort her. "Calixta," he said, "don't be frightened. Nothing can happen." (Chopin) She engaged in his comfort and enjoyed it. Then when her husband comes home, she acts like she was so worried. "Oh, Bobinot! You back! My! but I was uneasy!" (Chopin) I can't believe how normal she acts, as if she had done nothing wrong. She isn't the only one who acts like they didn't do anything wrong because Alcee goes home that night and writes his wife a loving letter. They both act like the storm gave them an excuse to commit adultery. Now that the storm is over, they go on living their lives like nothing ever happened.

1 comment:

aladbury said...

I like how you point out that Calixta and Alcee see the storm as an excuse for their actions. I agree that it is not.