Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Barbie Doll"

The poem Barbie Doll by Marge Piercy shows how societys image as "beautiful" effects young girls. Even though society puts an ideal image out there for young men, I highly believe that woman struggle with it more. If I were to re-write the poem through a mans perspective, I would base it more on being tall, dark, and handsome rather than super skinny with big boobs. I believe young men focus more on being muscular than skinny. I don't know any man who aspires to be skinny. Most are searching for a look that consists of muscules. If I were to name this poem based on a young man's experience, I would title it G.I. Joe. I think that would be the perfect name because young boys often want to be like him. He is a strong character portrayed as a hero which would be something young boys would want to be. I also think that boys would be able to understand the poem very well if it was written in a way they could easily understand and relate to.

No comments: