Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Crysanthemums

I did not enjoy this story because I thought it was boring and it did not have a point to it. I thought this mostly because I did not understand the story. The man that comes and asks for directions and then aks if he can fix things seems strange to me. I feel like he was taking advantage of Elisa when he ask for some Chrysanthemums. "She whispered to herself sadly, "He might have thrown them off the road. That wouldn't have been much trouble, not very much. But he kept the pot," she explained. He had to keep the pot. That's why he couldn't get them off the road."" (Steinbeck 639). It confuses me if she is upset because she thinks he did not love the Chrysanthemums like she did or if she was just upset because he ripped her off. I just do not understand Elisa or what the point of the story is.

No comments: