Monday, November 3, 2008

I Stand Here Ironing

As I was reading this story, I was really saddened. I felt bad for Emily and her mother. Emily's mother was young, at age 19 she was living in the Great depression and single at the time raising her. I felt hurt when she sent Emily away to a convalescent home so she could concentrate on her other children. Emily is not a fast learner and as pretty as the other children. She wanted to be like them. Emily would eat only very little. I believe it was because she never felt loved and that the thought of food spoiled her appetite. Her mother always felt guilty but didn't really take much action in showing Emily love. I felt that she never did work on showing her very much love even when she tried. Her mother felt it was to late and kind of just gave up. Emily could tell and showed it through her actions toward her mother. Emily did find a different kind of love in which she was good at and felt important. Emily would perform shows for crowds, and crowds would love her talent. She thought she was somebody at last. Emily just wanted her mother's love and knowing what had happened to her in the past, she would never feel that kind of love that her other siblings had. I feel that there are many children like this and it makes me feel for those children. I can't imagine what they are thinking everyday and how it will affect their lives and possibly their children. Children do need love growing up, and most importantly during those younger years. I wonder if the author had any kind of problems like this when she was younger? I liked this story, but it was sad to me.

No comments: