Monday, November 3, 2008

The Storm

The Storm was a good story to me. It starts out when a storm is about to roll into their town. Alcee was just riding his horse to Calixta's house. I thought maybe he knew that Bibinot wasn't at home. It seemed as if he wasn't worried about seeing Calixta alone. I was surpised to read that Alcee and Calixta were lovers in the end. I thought Alcee and Calixta were lovers in the past. The story states in this passage "that Calixta had not seen Alcee very much since her marriage and never alone." This stuck out to me because I thought maybe they had been together before Calixta got married, and Bibinot was suspicous of them two together alone. Alcee would fasinate about Calixta's body, lips, skin, and eyes. It was like he had been dreaming about her for a very long time. Bibinot was a very good husband to Calixta. Alcee was also married to Clarisse, who he wrote a letter to in the very end of the story, that "she should not hurry back and to to stay a month longer if needed. He was willing to bear the separation a while longer." I don't think that Alcee and Clarisse were a very happy married couple, but to stay together because they had children. They were good to each other but not happy. I think secretly Alcee and Calixta are both waiting for another storm.

No comments: