Monday, March 31, 2008

"Dulce et Decorum Est"

"Dulce et Decorum Est"
As I was reading this essay, I kept thinking how horrible this would be to live through. Having to watch your fellow man die next to you and their is really nothing you can do for them but to watch them suffer, and then to put your friend on the back of a wagon knowing what his destiny is. What did they do to deserve this? Nothing! Except to die for their country. This essay just shows the cruelty in war and how you are fighting with all of your strength. In the lines 5 through 8 the author makes the men sound like zombies, when he says "Men marched asleep" this makes the men seem like they are programmed to just march and they don't even realize that they are loosing important things like their boots. I just cant imagine marching while being extremely tired but too scared to stop because I could be shot and be left to die. I understand dieing for your freedom and for your country if it involves freedom but to go through this and possibly watch your friend die and many other innocent people to me it seems ironic because you cant win both.

No comments: