Monday, March 31, 2008

The Kite Runner

When reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini through pages 165-212. I couldn't believe the rollercoaster of emotions I felt. One minute I was happy, when I thought Amir and Hassan would be reunited. The next minute I was crying when Amir found out that Hassan and his wife were murdered. "No," I breathed.
"-and ordered him to kneel-"
"No. God, no."
"-and shot him in the back of the head."
"No."
"-Farzana came screaming and attcked them-"
"No."
"-shot her too. Self-defense, they clamed later-"(195).
Hassan was such a wonderful person. I couldn't imagine what would happen to his son, Sohrab. Sohrab has delt with a lot of death at such a young age, not to mention BOTH parents, and his grandmother who he just meet. Hassan at least got to renite with his mother before she died. "She looked calm, at peace, like she did not mind dying now. The loss was hard on Hassan-it always hurts more to have and lose than to not have in the first place"(188). This line sticks out a lot to me because I know exactly how it feels, because I never got the oppertunity to know my dad before he died. I think if I would have know my dad it would hurt more than I could of imagined. It's all I've ever know since I was one, is my dad was the brightest star in the sky. I could also relate with Hassan when he never knew his mother while growing up. I was very happy Hassan got to see his mother with his son. Now on a complete different note I can't believe that Amir and Hassan are 1/2 brothers! "Ali was sterile, " Rahim Khan said. (198). I couldn't believe it, if were a different setting I'm sure the truth would of came out a lot sooner. I now think that now it's Amir's way of repaying Hassan for all of the pain and sorrow he caused to him. Amir needs to find Sohrab and take him in as his own son, and not just a newphew. I know that Soraya would approve because, "The doctors said we could adopt,"(164). I can't wait to finish to find out if I'm right, it sure would be a way Amir can forgive himself for what he did to his brother.

No comments: