Monday, March 31, 2008

Dulce et Decorum Est

When I looked at the title of this poem I thought that it would be confusing to read, but once I read it I found out it was very easy to follow. The last couple of lines to this poem say "The old Lie: Dulce t decorum est Pro patria mori"(27-28). This means, sweet and fitting it is to die for ones country. After you read the poem you sense that the narrator obviously does not agree with this. He capatilizes the L in Lie, which apparently tells you that he strongly disagrees with the saying. I disagree with the author, and agree with the saying.

What I picture is from all of the “Five-Nines,” a person is walking around with this gas floating in the air which is the thick green light not being able to breathe trying to find a way out of it but can’t. I later found out from our discussion in class is that the gren light is the way the people see through their mask/helmet things. This is a very strong image that I immediately think about when I see the title of this poem.

No comments: