Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Porphyria's Lover

The man in this poem is a complete psycho, at first he seems normal and then boom he kills his lover. The man seemed normal until she confesses that she loves him, I guess he wanted to be able to love her for the rest of HIS LIFE and her saying that she loved him was not enough for him. The passage that gave me a sneak peak into his craziness was when he said, "Happy and proud; at last I knew/Porphyria worshipped me; suprise" (Browning l. 32-33). When someone uses words like "worships me", I think that is a good sign to go ahead and get out of that relationship. The man in the poem mentions her hair quiet often throughout the poem so when you find out that he strangled her with her hair it wasn't that suprising. "In one long yellow string I wound/Three times her little throat around,/And strangled her" (Browning l. 39-41). It was just really weird that her killed her with her own hair. When you look at it her hair could of been her most beautiful quality, but in the end it was actually the death of her, makes you think. All in all I thought it was kind of a twisted poem but interesting at the same time.

No comments: