Monday, April 14, 2008

Those Winter Sundays

This poem to me is of a son who doesn't regonize the love his father shows to him and his family at first but then in the end realizes that love doesn't have to be said but can also be showed in many different ways. The poem starts of with a line that to me means his father is a dedicated man that gets up early, "Sundays too my father got up early," (page 677). Then the line, "Then the cracked hands that ached," (page 678) tells me that his father is a hard working labor man. He didn't get much appreciation for this from anyone, for the senctence, "No one ever thanked him," (page 678) said. The son explains how he would wake up when his father called, but didn't care that much to hurry and get up and work. "And slowly I would rise and dress," page (678) tells me this. I believe that the son feared of no love by the line that states, "Fearing the chronic anger of the house," (678). But in the end as the boy ages he realizes that love doesn't always have to come in the words, "I love you," but can come by showing and feeling it. The last line made me think that way, "And love's auster and lonely offices," (page 678).

No comments: