Sunday, January 18, 2009

A&P

Sammy was always talking about the girls from the moment they walked into the "A&P", which tells me that he is in that adolecent part of his life where girls may be his main priority. Instead of paying attention to his job he was focusing on what the girls were wearing and trying to figure them out. He also comes off as a bit shollow when he says, "and the plump one in plaid, that I liked better from the back." Throughout the whole story he makes comments about the "A&P" such as,"I could see Lengel in my place in the slot, checking the sheep through." and "I bet you could set off dynamite in an A&P and the people would by and large keep reaching and checking oatmeal off their lists." By him making these comments it give me the feeling that he feels isolated and has become bored with his job.

I think that Sammy's primary motivation for quitting his job was to impress the girls, which is why he said it loud enough for them to hear and he looked back to see if they had heard him. I also think that there was more to it than just trying to be a "hero" for some random girls. Like i said before it seemed that he maybe felt isolated and bored with his job. I think that throughout the story Sammy began to find himself and realized what he really wanted out of life. Ever since the girls walked in there was one that stuck out and that he admired (Queenie). At the end of the story when he saw how she stood up for herself, I think it gave him the motivation to stand up for himself and do what he has been wanting to do for a long time....quit his job.

No comments: