Sunday, January 18, 2009

"A&P"

"A&P" is a story of an experience in which a teenage boy makes a decision which does, and will continue, to allow him to grow as an adult. Sammy's ignorance, dislike of his job, and modest upbringing are all vital pieces of information which provide motivation for his rash decision.

In the beginning of the story we learn that Sammy is young at age nineteen. He is attracted to these girls, and because of this makes a rash decision to quit his job. However, he makes it clear from the beginning that this job is unpleasant. On page 220, he describes a customer, "She's one of those cash-register-watchers... and I know it made her day to trip me up." We also know of his modest upbringing, which Sammy describes on page 222, "when my parents have somebody over they get lemonade..."

His initial motive may have been to impress these girls. On page 223 we experience his decision through his young, naive mind. "I say 'I quit' to Lengel, quick enough for them to hear, hoping they'll stop and watch me, their unsuspected hero." However, I feel there are deeper, underlying factors which cause Sammy to make this decision. Perhaps he feels stuck in a rut, not wanting to live a modest existence as his parents do. He may want to branch out, and although he feels fear in doing this, stated in the final phrase of the story on page 224, "My stomach kind of fell as I felt how hard the world was going to be to me hereafter." he doesn't turn back. I feel this is admirable, and will allow him courage in future decisions.

No comments: