Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Rose for Emily"

I agree with the class discussion, that this story had many of layers to it. It was hard to keep track of what was going on.
I thought Emily was a rich lady, and everyone else was beneath her, but after the discussion today, I agree with the class that her, herself was poor.
I think Emily is a true example of Erickson's stage, intimacy vs. isolation. I Think by keeping her dead boyfriend in the home for thirty plus years shows that she chooses intimacy vs. isolation. Even though Homer was dead, she still laid her head on him, which shows intimacy. But yet she stayed isolated in her home.
I don't know, I think Miss Emily had a lot more problems than we, the readers are aware of. The first signs of that was when she was in denial of her father passing away.
I enjoyed the story, it really made you think after you read it, that someone could actually keep someone dead in their home for that long, and be lying next to it.

No comments: