Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Story Of An Hour

Ok, this story is completely different from what I interpreted it as. I was very glad that we got to discuss this in class to get all the others' views and points to make me realize what this story is really about.
The first time I read this story I thought of a Mrs. Mallard as a women that was sick who was beaten by her husband. When she learns of his death she is in joy because she doesn't have him in her future. But when a knock at the door brings to her suprise her husband was still alive and she keels over inspite of it.
Wow was my version different. When discussing it with classmates we ask ourselves why we think she was abused? It didn't say that? We all just assumed from the text she was. Certain sentences led me to believe this. First off when she hears of the news it says she goes to her room alone with no one to follow. (Chopin 193) Telling the readers of a arm chair that seems so relaxing. Now if I were to get news like that I wouldn't be thinking of some nice comfortable chair, unless I was happy. If a death occured and a person was happy you would believe it was because the person was evil, which then leads us to think of some kind of abuse. A few other phrases gave me the same impression. Under her breath she states "Free, free, free". (Chopin 194) and yet she loved him- sometime, often she had not. (Chopin 194) Now can you see why that would make someone to point towards an abused relationship. After a death you usually aren't acknowledging the fact that you are free if you just lost a spouse but the fact that you will be lonely forever.
So like I said before I think this story could lead people in many directions. By having a group actually pick out parts that you believe and ask for evidence is what directed my thoughts to a whole new version.

No comments: