Friday, January 25, 2008

"A Rose for Emily"

At the beginning of William Faulkner’s “ A Rose for Emily” he talks about Miss Emily Grierson dying, and the fact that the whole town goes to her funeral. Whether its out of respect for her or if its just the towns obsession with her life and her business, remains a mystery to me. Throughout the story the narrator brings up different issues of Emily’s life. I’m still confused on the taxes issue he brings up. Why would they make up an excuse and tell her that she doesn’t have to pay her taxes?
Emily’s lifestyle choices confuses as well. What person in their right mind would want to keep their dead decaying father’s body in their house? As well as, her dead lover’s. I would think that the body would start to smell and that might be what smelt so bad around her house. How could she sleep next to Homer’s disgusting dead body, let alone have sex with him?! I’ve heard that they’re people in this world that do that but I didn’t think it would exists back in the 1930’s when the story takes place. I think it’s a blessing that Emily dies at the end of the story because now Homer can finally be buried as well as herself.

No comments: