Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Photograph of My Father in His Twenty Second Year

When i read this poem I automatically thought that it was about, an alcoholic father who never spent time with his kid, the narrator. I notice that an image that constantly comes to mind is the father holding a beer and holding the string of fish. This gives me the reason to believe that he is an alcoholic and someone who loves to fish. The beer and fish are brought up twice in the poem. It seems like the father never spent time with him because at the end of the poem the narrator says, "Father, I love you, yet how can I say thank you, I who cant hold my liquor either, and don't even know the places to fish" (13-15) So he must not have shown him how to fish, or maybe he has never asked him to go fishing with him. Also something else that comes to mind is maybe the narrator is an alcoholic like his father because he cant hold his liquor.
The narrator seems to be looking at a picture of his father who has either been dead for twenty two years or he was twenty two when he died. I believe that he is dead because the narrator says, "All his life my father wanted to be bold" (line 10).
This was a pretty straight forward poem.

No comments: