Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"Those Winter Sundays" and my thoughts!

I have never been a big fan of reading poetry, however, I’ve had a little bit of a change of heart. I really like having all the class discussion on the poems that we have read so far. None of them have been too hard to understand or follow. My favorite part is how many different interpretations that can be made on just a single poem. You are able to interpret it how you want to, and it’s really interesting seeing what other people thought the same thing meant. For example, when I read “Those Winter Sundays” by Robert Hayden, I understood the poem to be about a monotonous Sundays that seemed to be the same very week. The tone of this poem seems to be slow and almost regretful, especially when the speaker says, “No one ever thanked him” (678). I also get the feeling of an indifferent relationship between the father and the speaker. When discussing this poem in class, it helped my pick up on the smaller details in the story that have a big impact. Such as the significance of the words “blueblack cold” and “chronic angers of the house.” When I first read the line “he put his clothes on in the blueblack cold,” I didn’t give it much attention (678). However, when discussing it in class, I realized how powerful the word blueback is. I might represent a bruise-like feeling. It was so cold that it hurt! There is so much power in the few words that poems use, if you take the time to figure it out.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I strongly agree with you, I like talking about the readings and especially the poems in class.It helps me view the reading from another prospective. I like how different people have different reactions to reading the same material. I also feel confidant when discussing the reading material their is no right or wrong answer.