Monday, March 10, 2008

Those Winter Sundays

In the poem Those Winter Sundays by Robert Hayden, the cold was what I felt the most. In the first stanza, second line, the word blueblack cold stopped me to think. The first image I thought of was a bruise, but then I started to think about what the outside looked like when it was very early in the morning. The reflection of the moon off the snow gives the air a blue look while still being dark. The color black gives it the feeling of how cold it is. It's so cold outside the cold air will have the effects of frost bit resulting in black fingers etc. It made me wonder if these two thoughts had anything to do with the relationship the father had with his family. At first, I didn't know what the father was doing every Sunday morning. Some questions I asked myself were, Why was the father getting up early in the morning? Was he going to work? What did fire have anything to do with it? All I knew was that on lines three and four the way his hands were described showed me how hard of a worker he was. After class, I learned it was a fire stove he was lighting every morning to heat the house on Sunday. After knowing about this, I could get the feeling that how the speaker, which I imagine is a son or daughter of the family is not appreciating all the work the father does. Communication in the house was limited and it also states that the house had chronic angers. So the question remains, What kind of anger is he/she talking about? Physical,emotional,verbal? On line ten, showed that he/she didn't speak nice or at all to his/her father. This might be why the speaker feels this way. In the end, the feeling changes and there is a realization for the speaker.

No comments: