Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Do not go gentle into the night

This poem by Dylan Thomas was fluent and easy to read because of the rhyme pattern and repetition throughout the lines. I like when they rhyme the last word of every other line because it makes the words flow well together. The repetition of, “[d]o not go gentle into the good night” (1,6,12,18) made me more conscious of the statement and to think about what it means. I do not like what I conveyed from it; that no one dies at peace with their mind or soul. The other line of repetition, “[r]age, rage against the dying of the light” also gave me a sour taste in my mouth. I felt like the author is almost in a way trying to scare us about death, and to me death is something natural that every single person needs to come to term with because eventually it will happen to them.

No comments: