Tuesday, November 25, 2008

you fit into me

This short by Margaret Atwood is simple but shocking. I thought it was fairly easy to understand the theme of this particular poem. The theme of the poem is stated right away "you fit into me" (line 1). All that the author is saying by this is that they work together. I was a little shocked by "an open eye" (line 4) because it was so blunt and in my eyes it seems quite a bit disturbing to have the image of a fish hook in yours or someone else’s open eye. By using the analogy it was a good way for the author to get the theme across to the readers because it really makes you think deeply about this hook stuck in the eye and then comparing it to the author stuck together solidly with his lover. So overall this story is short but I liked it because it gets the point across by not blatantly telling you what it is.

No comments: