Sunday, November 23, 2008

Photograph of my Father in his Twenty-Second Year

I liked this poem. I thought it showed deep meaning and love he had for his father. This person is looking at one of his father's photograph and sees that he has turned to be like his father. The author writes "Sheepish grin, he holds in one hand a string of spiny yellow perch, in the other a bottle of Carlsbad beer." (Carver 3-5) This photograph describes what his father liked to do and he is thankful that he has turned out like his father. We know that he is proud to be he son when Carver writes "Father, I love you, yet how can I say thank you, I who can't hold my liquor either, and don't even know the places to fish?" (Lines 13-15) He wishes that he was still alive, so he could say thank you for what his father has done for him and greatful for the way he raised him. There is a question mark at the very end of this last line. This is stating that, if his father was still alive, he would want to know where he used to fish. Sense his father is gone, he feels a bit of emptiness inside because he loved his father so much.

No comments: