Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So Mexicans are Taking Jobs away From Americans

First of all, this poem struck me as a little bit odd. It did not seem to flow like poetry that I have typically read in the past. This poem seems to read just like a letter-to-the editor in a newspaper. The views are obviously of a person that is in support of Mexicans seeking entry to the United States for the purpose of employment, as the author makes comments like “I hear... white farmers…shooting blacks and browns…I see the poor marching for a little work”(lines 20-24). I do think that this is a very pressing issue in politics today that deserves attention. I think that the author does make a point about the misconceptions that Americans have about the Mexicans seeking jobs here when he says “Do... [Mexicans] come on horses with rifles and say Ese Gringo gimme your job…do they mug you, saying I want your job” (lines 1-3)? By this the author hits on the paranoia and ignorance that some people display toward immigrants. It seems like the author’s goal is to expose the greediness of the American culture, that seems to have plenty of prosperity to go around but complains about Mexicans getting jobs here that complainers would never have a desire work anyway. I think he makes good points in the poem, but I just didn’t think that it seemed like a true poem. It didn’t draw me in or keep my attention at all.

No comments: