Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Chrysanthemums

WOW!! I absolutely loved this story! In my opinion John Steinbeck is a terrific writer. The few stories of his that I have read are right to the point; he doesn’t try to confuse you with fancy words and other literary statements. The way he describes the setting on page 632 in the first paragraph makes me wish I was a character in this story. I love the simplicity of their lives, they seem relaxed and content with life. Although, when Elisa meets the man in the canvas covered wagon I believe her mind starts to wonder what it would be like to have that type of lifestyle. After the man asks her for some “chrysanthemum seeds” she reflects back on her life and realizes that her life right now is better than it would be if she lived like this man does. There a few lines in this story that baffle me like on page 638 when her husband tries to compliment her and she gets mad about it. Does he not compliment her often and that’s why he isn’t very good at it? What does the red bucket symbolize and why does he only keep that?

No comments: