Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Storm

The story was horrible, but kept my attention. The plot steadily progressed as the story went along, and there was nothing to throw you off. In the introduction of Kate Chopin's "The Storm", when I read about "certain somber clouds that were rolling in with sinister intention from the west, accompanied by a sullen, threatening roar" I assumed that the characters were in for trouble(225). I thought there might be a very interesting struggle because the clouds had a "sinister intention" which suggests danger or devising of a plan. Therefore I was expecting a problem, when "Alcee Labaliere rode in at the gate"(256-8). But with the statement, "she had not seen him very often since her marriage, and never alone", I wanted to know what marriage had to do with Calixta not seeing him(256-8). He may have been an old boyfriend of Calixta's. I also wondered why the bedroom would be described in such detail and be "dim and mysterious" without a future scene taking place in there(256-13). When it became apparent that Alcee was attracted to her with the mention of "desire of her flesh", I wanted him to leave before he became a home wrecker(257-21). With "Assumption" being described, I hoped that they would just kiss and he would go, so everything would be back to normal(257-23). Therefore I was extremely upset that they didn't just leave it at that, and proceeded to have sex. Although it was not explicitly mentioned that they had sex, since "He stayed cushioned upon her, breathless, dazed, enervated, with his heart beating like a hammer" I concluded that it was more than kissing(258-27). What surprised me was how she "lifted her pretty chin in the air and laughed aloud", expressing shamelessness(258-29). When I also found out that Alcee had a wife and babies, it was even worse. After the in class discussion, my point of view is unchanged.

No comments: