Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Doe Season

After discussing the story in class I liked this story even more. Breaking it down picked out a few points that helped me understand better what I felt was really going on. I feel Andy is a girl striving for her dad's bond and acceptance. She pretends to admire hunting like her father to spend time with him. I can relate to this. Having a big sister (daddy's first girl) and having a little brother (daddy's little boy) leaves me in the middle. I've always felt a little out a place too. So at times I could recall trying to get that acceptance from him. The first clue that tells me she wants to make her dad happy by doing boy things and acting kind of like a boy is when Andy was asked if she liked to be called Andrea or Andy. She said it didn't matter, and then her dad butts in saying that he has always called her Andy. Now Andy is more of a boys name to me. Now not all girls either are in to killing dear. Andy though claimed she was until the end when it came time to. At this point she felt she couldn't do it, or she didn't want to either. But again she did inspite of her dad. To dark to find the deer they will have to return tomorrow. The next day as they approach the dead doe, Andy watches as they slice her. She starts to run away because she just couldn't handle it. As she runs they yell her name, Andy. But she doesn't answer. Her name isn't Andy nomore it says. (Kaplan 467) At the end it led me to think that she knows she can't fool herself no more. She is a girl accepted or not.

1 comment:

Kayla Kubischta said...

I agree that Andy is fighting for her father's acceptance and I can definitely relate to you and your situation. I have four brothers, making me the only girl as well as middle child. When I was younger I was pretty use to doing guy things like fishing and wearing my Dad's t-shirts to bed. Then I realized that I hated fishing and loved the color pink. I was different from my brothers, but as I got older I learned to take advantage of being the only girl ;-)