Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Lottery

The Lottery has to be my all time favorite short story. I can't remember when I first read it but it was quite a while ago, probably in 6th or 7th grade, and I immediately loved it. At the time I wasn't sure what it was that struck a chord with me, but I'm slowly starting to figure it out.

Its one of those things that while we'd like to think would never happen, it most likely has. Its really not much different then something like the Salem witch trials. You have people who are basicly "randomly" being chosen as having supposedly done some sort of witchcraft. These people were then burned. The big difference in this case is how someone is chosen, which is more of the luck of the draw, but its still random, and the outcome is the same.

No comments: