Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Where are You Going, Where have You Been?

In this story, Connie seems to be a normal teenager trying to find who she is. She seems to not be able to see eye to eye with her parents and seems to be the opposite of her sister. A majority of teenagers go through this phase in their life and I think the author does a good job illustrating Connies. When Arnold Friend and Ellie roll into the driveway the story takes a sudden turn and the headstrong rebelliant Connie that was described earlier suddenly fell prey to Arnold. As I read it became clear that Arnold was an extremely manipulative and aggressive person. He was not going to stop until he got what he wanted. I was confused as to what the main role of Arnold's friend Ellie was. Was he there to pose as extra intimidation? What was the reason for him being there? He did not seem to take part in a whole lot of the conversation. It was clear that Arnold was slowly but surely gaining ground on Connies defenses. He knew the right things to say and when to say them so that she would be affected by them; mentally draining her to the point that she could not think or even see straight. In the end, it is said "so much land that Connie had never seen before and did not recognize except to know that she was going to it." (521-161) I believe that this would be informing the reader that Connie's life was taken by Arnold Friend.

1 comment:

Kayla Kubischta said...

I also agree that most teenagers go through that stage at some point in life. I was the only kid in my family who actually cared about school and getting good grades, but I still had a life. I was captain of my cheerleading squad and president of the National Honors Society, which apparently, was nerdy. In high school, I had a hard time trying to not do so well at things so my parents wouldn't hold me on such a high pedi stool. I guess I was the Connie in that situation and I can say that the grass really isn't greener on the other side!