Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Kite Runner pgs.1-79

In the begining I didn't know if I was going to get all of the names and the different backrounds of everyone straight. With not much knowledge of this area of the world I thought to myself, it's about time I understood this area and their ways of living. Coming into this story with no prior knowledge of Kabul and or Afghanistan, It opened my eyes to what I was missing. I got this insight from the start of the story, just imagin whats to come! Like any other book, the reader gets the facts of most of the characters and how they are pursued with eachother. As kids growing up, Amir and Hassan are buddies. Hassan and his father, Ali, are servents to Baba. They are both very loyal to eachother, so it doesn't seem like they are workers to them but close friends. "I treated Hassan well, just like a friend,better even,more like a brother"(41).Amir is working to get Baba to respect him as a man. It seems like Hassan is getting in the way of that because Baba loves them both uncondtionaly. Amir doesn't understand why Baba loves them both. He wants Baba all to himself. Amir feels like he needs to win his fathers love because he feels like he killed his mother."I always felt like Baba hated me a little. And why not?After all, I had killed his beloved wife,his beautiful princess,hadn't I?"(19). Amir and Hassan's friendship is split in a way because of that. Amir focuses so hard on being like his father becuase he feels that way it will show Baba some respect.
Amir is a stuck up snot, he does nothing but tell Hassan what to do."The next morning, as he was preparing my breakfast, Hassan asked if something was bothering me. I snapped at him, told him to mind his own business"(23). When they win the kite event and Amir tells Hassan to go fetch the kite is when Hassan runs into the three bullies and gets beat up and raped. Amir, seeing this happen, hides and acts like nothing happened. "I ran because I was a coward" "That's what I told myself as I turned my back to the alley, to Hassan"(77).This shows that Amir didn't have the guts to stand up for his so called friend Hassan. But Amir knows that Hassan would do anything to protect Amir. This shows what is to come with the relationship with both boys and how Amir's actions effect him.

No comments: