Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Kite Runner

I enjoy this novel very much. I feel so bad for Hassen, Amir treats him like a nobody. They are clearly very close to each other. I think I would consider them half brothers, because they drank the same breast milk. Amir always knows he has the upper hand in their relationship-friendship-servent. I was really happy to read that Amir was reading Hassen stories. I don't quite understand why Hassen can't go to school. Eventhough he wasn't allowed to go to school, I did feel good that Amir was reading to Hassen. I couldn't believe that when Hassen was doing better than Amir, with figuring out the riddles, he choose to read him unchallenging things. I can't believe how self-absorbed Amir is. I don't know how someone can treat someone like a brother, and best friend one minute, and the next minute treat them like they don't know him. I felt so sick to my stomach, when Amir witnessed Hassen getting raped, and didn't do a damn thing to help him. Especially when Hassen helped him get out of a similar situation with the same boys. I wish I knew more about, Pashtun, Hazara, Sunni, and Shi's, I think that would help me understand the story better. I can't wait until I can pick up my book and read more.

1 comment:

BAM said...

I agree completely that Amir knows that he has the uppper hand in the relationship, because he asks him if he would eat dirt and Hassan says he would if Amir asked him to. I also agree that Amir does turn on Hassan on a turn of a dime. When things are going good they are friends and when Hassan is going to do something for Amir they are friends (Like running a kite). I think that Amir makes everyone who reads this novel sick!!