Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

For this story, I saw the movie before I read the book. I chose to do this because the text for this book is not contemporary and by viewing the movie I will be able to have a general idea of what is taking place. The movie was good, but once I started to read the book, however, I realized that I was going to like the book a lot more than the movie. One of my favorite things about reading is that the readers are able get into the minds of the main characters. We can get a better understanding to why they act the way they do and how they feel about it. In novel of the Tess of the D’Urbervilles, I am getting exactly that. The movie doesn’t seem to show as much about what Tess is feeling or thinking, so I am looking for that now in the novel.


Another feature about this book that I like is even though it takes place during the 1880’s in England, it can still be related to today. Tess faces issues that many people in society still have to face today. For example, pregnancy out of wedlock, not having enough money, dealing with parents, and growing up just to name a few.

No comments: